Choosing the right coloured contacts for you
Coloured contact lenses are designed to enhance or transform the natural look of the iris. Depending on the desired look, there are a few different lens varieties and countless colours to choose from.
Opaque coloured contact lenses are designed to mask your natural eye colour to create a more dramatic transformation. If you really want to stand out from the crowd, opt for vivid colours, such as blue, green or violet – the perfect finishing touch to any ghoulish outfit. Pair our violet contact lenses with your evil witch outfit, or try misty grey lenses to give your eyes a ghostly gaze.
If you want a subtler change, enhanced tinted lenses (also known as Freshlook Dimensions) may be the best option for you, as they intensify your natural eye colour, rather than transforming it completely. Please note: colour enhancers are typically made for people with naturally light eyes, as their subtle tint will not stand out on dark eyes.
Choosing the right coloured lens prescription
To make sure your contact lenses are comfortable, you need to take note of your prescription, which has the correct base curve (BC), diameter, and type of lens you should be wearing.
Before you buy your lenses, you should always make sure that you have a current, valid prescription. If you’ve not had an eye test or consulted your optician in the last two years, it’s recommended you pay them a visit. During the fitting process, you will also have the opportunity to try out some of the colours available in-store to give you a better idea of how they will look.
If you’re new to contact lenses, your optician will be happy to provide you with a lens specification once they’ve completed your fitting. You might have to return to your optician for more than one follow-up visit so they can fully complete the fitting. But believe us when we say it’s worthwhile ensuring you get the right fit.
If you’re lucky enough to enjoy 20/20 vision, you can still buy cosmetic coloured contact lenses with no corrective purpose. These are called plano lenses. When ordering, choose power 0.00, which ensures that your lenses will be purely cosmetic. Remember, it is important that you see an optician to ensure you’re getting the right fit for your eyes.
Tips for taking care of your coloured contacts
- Wash and dry your hands before handling your lenses.
- Remove, clean and store monthly contact lenses at the end of each day. To clean your lenses, place the lens in the palm of your hand, add a few drops of contact lens solution and rub gently with your index finger. Store in the contact lens case filled with fresh solution, and repeat all steps on the other lens. If you wear daily disposables, it’s even easier — just recycle or throw them away after use.
- Never share your contacts with others.
- Insert your lenses before applying makeup.
- Only use your lenses for the length of time recommended by your optician.
Ready to add a pop of colour? Shop coloured contact lenses here.